Pickled Carrots + Daikon
Food in Jars
Watch the video here
- 3-4 fat carrots
- 2 slim daikon radishes For the Brine
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup sugar (I usually only add 1/2 c.)
- 3-4 star anise flowers (I always leave this out)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of powdered ginger
- Thinly slice the vegetables on a mandolin and set aside.
- Combine the brine ingredients in a medium-sized, non-reactive pot (the one I used holds four quarts). Bring to a boil. Taste (do not inhale over the pot, the vinegar will make you cough) and adjust spices to please your palate. Add the sliced vegetables. Stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Fill prepared jars. Wipe rims and apply lids. Process in a boiling water bath for ten minutes (starting time after the pot has returned to a boil).